Wednesday, February 18, 2015

Toddler Tales and Four-Inch Miracles

This past weekend, we painted our spare bedroom to move Easton into. This room is much smaller and we definitely need the bigger room for the twins. So Saturday we painted and started moving Easton's stuff into his new room! We were going to keep him in the crib for a while longer (he's just over a year and a half) but of course the crib wouldn't fit out of the nursery door. Since we already had the toddler bed (Amazon deal!), we decided to give it a shot. A new bedroom and a new bed in the same day, should be interesting! Well, he went to sleep without getting out of the bed, but I prepared myself for being up all night. I watched the monitor like a hawk.  Did he need me? Nope. Did he fall out of the bed? Twice. Did it even wake him up? Nope. I went in both times to put him back into his bed, but that little stinker slept soooo much better than I thought he would.



Sometimes, my son is so cooperative. He is a good little boy. He doesn't really throw too many fits, if I say no, he listens. In times like this I'm blown away with his easy-going attitude! Put me in a big boy bed in a brand new room, no problem, Mom!

BUT....

Try and give me my milk in a sippy cup? HECK NO, MOM!!!

Easton had his 18 month appointment a few weeks ago and the doc said he shouldn't have a bottle anymore. I was irritated (don't they have better things to do than critique my choice of beverage container?!). He drinks from a sippy cup, a straw, even from a regular cup with no problems... but his milk has always been in a bottle. He drinks it right down and we don't let him go to bed with it or anything. What's the big deal? Well, last night I tried to give him his milk in a sippy cup. Silly mom. He took one sip, gave me the dirtiest look, and threw it.  That's my son! Such a stubborn little thing when he wants to be. I like to blame his dad for the stubborn genes, but if we're being honest, I'm probably worse than the two of them put together.

As frustrating as it can be, living with a toddler sure makes life interesting! The stubbornness and refusal to eat normal food is strongly outweighed by all the wonderful things he does. He gives us kisses for no reason sometimes. He plays with my hair and wants me to put my head on his while we rock before bed. He helps me unload the dishwasher and is so darn adorable while doing it. He begs to play bubbles and runs down the hallway when I say the word "bath." He's such a sweetheart and I'm blessed to be his momma. And gosh-darn it, if he wants to keep using his bottle for a little while longer, I'm going to let him!

Of course I have to bring my other kids into the conversation, so here's the twin update for the week: Today my precious, little babies are 4 inches long (crown to rump). They both weigh around 2.5 ounces and are the size of navel oranges. I definitely look like I have multiple oranges under my shirt. Their little hearts are capable of pumping 25 quarts of blood a day! In a few weeks I will have my anatomy ultrasound at the hospital, which will check to make sure their growth is right on track. From that point on, I will have an ultrasound every 4 weeks. These scans will check to make sure both babies are growing at the same rate. Normally, a doctor will just measure your belly to make sure the baby is on track... if I remember correctly, it should measure as many centimeters as you are weeks along (i.e. 30 cm = 30 weeks).  But since there are two babies, that method won't work. The monthly ultrasounds will make sure that both babies are the same size. They both have separate placentas so the risk is less, but in some twin pregnancies one baby is much smaller than the other and that can have serious problems. Unfortunately, twin pregnancies are high risk in a lot of ways but I know God will take care of me and my twins. I'm staying positive and praying for my little oranges!

Courtesy of thebump.com


This coming weekend, we will begin work on the twins' nursery, if I ever find the right shade of navy paint. I will be sure to post pictures of our progress. I'm so happy to be finally channeling my excitement into productive work.  I've got to do something, there's a whole lot of pregnancy left and it's going so slow. I blame the fact that it hasn't hit 30 degrees in weeks. The never ending WNY winters just make time go so very slow!

Well, thanks for reading my thoughts. Hope you all can get a chuckle out of my toddler tales, and I hope you all will continue to pray for our little family as it's getting bigger!

No comments:

Post a Comment