Wednesday, September 19, 2018

New Territory

So much changes with kids, and it changes fast. Little things they said or did are gone in a few weeks... phases come and go without warning. I don't know why it's hard for me to get on here to update (ya know, other than the fact that I have four kids and a home to take care of) but I long to sit and write each and every little thing my kids are doing. It's my only sort of pause button in this life of a mom. But life gets in the way, and save for some videos and pictures, little moments are gone in the blink of an eye. Anyway, enough being sappy.

My daughter. She's the reason I wanted to take a minute to write. I titled this post new territory because for this girl of mine often makes me feel like a first time mom with no answers. You know what she's not doing? Sleeping through the night. My boys were all successfully sleep trained well before their first birthday... we tried it, multiple times, it just doesn't work with her. I'm at a loss. Sometimes I spend hours in her room passed out on her floor by her crib, holding her hand in some awkward angle leaving my arm asleep from the shoulder down. It's comfy. (insert eyeroll) So yeah, that's been fun. Now that Easton is in kindergarten my alarm is ringing at 5:50am so I'm adjusting to around 6 hours asleep. I probably could get more if I went to bed at a decent time, but I'm binge watching Jane the Virgin and I just. can't. stop. Don't feel sorry for me! I will always look back at these nights of sleeping on her floor with fondness. I mean, how cute is it that she needs to hold mommy's hand?? I'll survive. There's coffee.

Ok so the second thing on the list of "new" to me is the fact that I, as of today, have nursed her for 14 months. She hates bottles, cows milk, sippy cups of cows milk, cows milk out of a straw (unless it's chocolate, lol) and honestly, she eats like a bird. So, she still nurses. Like a lot. Mostly it's just quick little 3-4 minute sessions. But there is no end in sight. This girl has been a momma's girl since day one and she ain't letting go easy. I always kind of rolled my eyes at extended breastfeeding, but, at this point, I'm too lazy and out of good reasons to wean. Whatevs, she likes it... it's free and good for her. I think 18 months will be a maximum, hopefully before then. I guess we'll see how it goes, but like I said, this is new territory! Easton nursed until 12 months, the twins made it to 14 months too, but that last month was only morning and night.

But time goes so fast. What's a few more months of sleeping on the floor and nursing? She'll get the hang of it. I will long for these days when she's a teenager slamming doors in my face and telling me she doesn't need me.

I'm going to just roll with it. That's my mom-of-four mantra lately. Are they fed, happy, loved, healthy? Yep. Anything else is just details. 💚

No comments:

Post a Comment