Friday, April 7, 2017

The Beauty of a Garbage Disposal and Other Ramblings.

Good morning from New York, where the trees are budding, the daffodils are about to open, it's supposed to hit 70 this weekend, and we have 4 inches of snow on the ground...wait, what? Rightttt, we don't have to deal with hurricanes or tornadoes so we just get this depressing late snowfall.

Anyway, I can't complain at all. I'm sitting here in my warm house with my coffee and my kids are quietly watching Team UmiZoomi and leaving me alone. It's a wonderful moment that will be over shortly, I'm sure. But for now, I will enjoy it and take the time to blog a little.

*stops to meet the demands of her tiny rulers...one filled sippy cup for Mr. Mav and a banana for Sir Easton while moving Tucker away from the laptop/coffee cup disaster-waiting-to-be*

Where was I? What was I going to even write about today? These preggo symptoms have me struggling to remember my thoughts. The only thing I remember lately is the crazy/violent/terrible dreams I've been having! I'm not a fan.

*stops to remove the fictional "brown spot" on Easton's banana*

I've also been having some annoying leg cramps/restless legs. Doc told me I need more magnesium. Other than that, I'm surviving the pregnancy quite nicely! Baby girl is very active lately and it feels like she's already irritated with her tight spaces. I would think there would be plenty of space in there since the last tenants stretched it out quite a bit. I love feeling her move, though. I'm trying to soak it all up since this may be my last. Maybe. It will be tough to let this part of my life be over with. I so enjoy the process of pregnancy and meeting a new baby. I have a bunch of friends on Facebook who have just had babies these past few weeks and it's just so wonderful! I want all the babies. I can barely deal with the 3 I have now but who cares! (This is the problem when my kids finally start sleeping really well... I think I have superpowers and need all the babies, and then I have the babies and don't have the sleep and I regret my over-zealousness.)

Life is good, though, and I think this baby girl will complete the family.

*Tucker climbs up behind me and starts "rubbing"  and hugging my back... maybe I do need more! Think of all the back rubs they could give! And the dishes! No, Hannah, stop that.* 

I'm anxious to start washing some of her clothes and get things ready for her but I still have 15 weeks to go, and before we do any nursery set up we have to move the 3 boys into a shared room. I haven't quite figured out how that will work, despite my excessive browsing of triple-bunk bed pins on Pinterest. So I've been filling my time with the normal stuff... cleaning up toys I picked up an hour ago, procrastinating laundry, and wiping little noses/butts/faces or whatever happens to be dirty.

One thing I have been enjoying is dishes. Yeah, you read that right. After 4 years of living in this house with a single-basin  kitchen sink and a clunky portable dishwasher that had to be rolled around the kitchen before I could use it, we upgraded! We didn't go crazy (bargain sink and Formica counter tops for the win) but I'm so, so happy. We got rid of the white counter tops and the shallow sink, bought a built in dishwasher, a faucet that doesn't leak, and a garbage disposal!!!

Seriously, people, I had no idea what I was missing with the garbage disposal. I used to loathe cleaning off the kids highchair trays after each meal. Now I just put them in my deep sink, hose them off, and watch all the food scraps go down that wonderful hole and get chopped up. It's beautiful. It's quick. It's painless. I'm in love.

Then I take my dishes and put them in the dishwasher that is RIGHT NEXT TO THE SINK! I know, crazy. There are no soaking wet floors from walking 6 feet with dripping dishes, there is no pushing a giant dishwasher on wheels and hooking it up to my leaky faucet. It's magical.


I will eventually put a before and after picture when we get it all finished. We're still waiting on the island counter top and to put up another cabinet. It's funny because these cabinets came with the house and we painted them and put new hardware on when we bought it. We decided to move the fridge down 18 inches and were joking about how it would be great if we could find a matching cabinet to put above the counter where the fridge was. It just so happens that my parents had the exact same cabinets when I was growing up and happened to save a bunch of them when they remodeled. So, I have a perfectly matching cabinet (once we add some paint of course). I actually made out with more counter space and more cabinet space when I thought I would be losing it with the dishwasher install.

And I have to give honor where honor is due. We didn't spend much on this, I mean like less than two grand for counters, dishwasher, sink, faucet, disposal, and whatever was needed for parts. So of course, we didn't pay for someone to come install it all. My husband and father-in-law busted their butts last weekend working on this. Having a handy husband is AWESOME. And having parents who are smart and willing to give up their Saturday is awesome too.

So anyway, that's my bragging for the day. I figure I won't be leaving the house for like ever after baby girl is born (four kids in four carseats... eww.) so I need to have a kitchen that will be accommodating to the amount of dishes and cleaning I have to do with 4 kids. I'm so happy with our little budget "remodel". Like I said before, I will post a before and after picture eventually. I mean, blue cabinets, white counters, yellow linoleum... 🙈

Happy Friday, everyone!



No comments:

Post a Comment